NC Civility Summit
Student Involvement and Leadership, in collaboration with the Student Activities Board, Student Government Association, Black Student Union, Sexuality and Gender Alliance, Intercultural Affairs, Off-Campus Student Services, NC Civil and Pitt County Community College, will host the Fourth Annual NC Civility Summit on Tuesday, February 12, 2019.
The program is aimed at promoting understanding and positive change on East Carolina University’s campus and beyond. The 2016 Summit featured a keynote by Opal Tometi, executive director of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration and co-founder of the Black Lives Matter Movement. Ndaba Mandela, grandson of the late Nelson Mandela and co-founder and co-chairman of the Africa Rising Foundation opened the 2017 event. The 2018 Summit hosted keynote speaker will be Dr. Jennifer Arnold, physician, cancer survivor, and star of “The Little Couple”.
In addition to the keynote speech, the Civility Summit provides opportunities for student, faculty, staff, and community member attendees from the state and region to engage in conversations about civility and how it intersects with topics such as activism, race, politics, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and global affairs. The over-arching goal of the event is for these conversations to fuel participants’ desires to make changes in themselves which would aid their work in becoming positive change agents.
Summit goals and learning outcomes include:
- promoting democratic values within our campus community
- encouraging unity in the face of public divsiveness
- honoring active citizenship as a daily practice and inspirational goal
- encouraging students to creatively engage in constructive conflict
- promoting ‘steady, loving confrontation’ (MLK’s definition of nonviolence) to promote a more just and equitable world
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2019 – 5PM to 8PM | MAIN STUDENT CENTER, ROOM 249
Ticket Information: FREE and open to the public; however tickets are required for entry. Light refreshments will be provided.
Registration / NC Civility Tickets: http://bit.ly/2TOIoIB
Workshop Session Topics:
- Student Panel Discussion – Black Box Theater, Main Student Center
- “Ideas to Action” Roundtable – Main Student Center 253
- Social Change in Action: Design 4 Change – Main Student Center 307
- Promoting Inclusive Language – Main Student Center 211